- A visit to Maui is not complete without experiencing Haleakala Crater—a magnificent amphitheater of silence and a place of beauty that always evokes awe
- Hike into both sides of Haleakala; each environment is very different from the other, so both should be experienced to gain a true appreciation for this natural phenomenon.
- Uncover the hidden beauty of the crater, including breathtaking desert scenery
- Lunch and snacks are provided
Departure & Return
• The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311 just before entering Kahului. • GPS – No physical address, but it is at the Intersection of Highways 350 & 380. • Exact coordinates: 20 degrees, 52 minutes, 30 seconds north, 156 degrees, 27 minutes, 43 seconds west From Wailea / Makena / Kihei – the South side of the island • Highway 31 (Pi’ilani Highway) – head north. • Follow airport signs to Kahului, bearing right onto Hwy 311. • After 10 minutes, look for big church (King’s Cathedral), then move into left lane. • Turn left onto Hwy 380 (Kuihelani Hwy). • Go 200 yards and turn right into “Park n’ Ride” commuter lot. • Park your car against a concrete block wall. From Lahaina /Ka’anapali /Kapalua – the West side of the island • Head south on Highway 30 as if you’re going to Kahului Airport. • Turn right onto Hwy 380. • Five miles down 380 there’s a concrete block wall on left. • Turn left across highway into Park n’ Ride commuter lot against that wall.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
This National Park has more endangered species than any other park in America and is a place that Native Hawaiians consider a sacred home to the gods. In addition to archaeological sites, visitors might encounter endangered birds such as nene geese or petrels, and walk past blooming silverswords that spring from the rocky terrain.
Towards the beginning of this Haleakala Crater hike, stop to acclimate at 8,000 feet along a thin, lava-strewn trail, where you’ll also enjoy some hearty snacks with a view of the crater floor. Next, continue up towards 10,000 ft (3,048m), summit, where you’ll hike towards cinder cones bursting from the Earth with serene, multihued beauty. There’s a mystical silence up here in the crater that’s only broken by the wind, and occasionally the sound of volcanic cinder as it crunches beneath your feet.
Before you’re finished hiking Haleakala, be sure to take a long look around to savor the mountain scenery, and fill up your camera with dozens of photos to help you remember the beauty. Eventually, this hiking adventure ends with a ride down the mountain and transport back to Kahului with a camera full of breathtaking photos.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum age is 8 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements (4 passengers minimum). In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Maximum 6 passengers per booking. For larger groups, please contact the suppllier directly.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hike Maui
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Haleakala Crater Hiking Experience.