- 2-hour private or semi-private surf lesson on Kauai
- Small group ensuring personal guidance
- Certified professional instructor
- Top of the line surf equipment
Departure & Return
Hanalei Bay 5134 Kuhio Highway, Hanalei, HI 96714 From Lihue: Drive North on Hwy 56 approximately 30.5 miles through Kapa'a, Kilauea and Princeville to Hanalei. From The junction of the 520 and Poipu Road: Drive North on the 520 back to the 50. Make a right on the 50, drive 37.5 miles through Lihue, Kapa'a, Kilauea, and Princeville to Hanalei. Driving times are approximate and depend on time of day and week. • From Koke'e to Hanalei: 2.5 hours • From Waimea to Hanalei: 2 hours • From Po'ipu to Hanalei: 1.15 hours • From Lihue (airport) to Hanalei: 45 minutes • From Kapa'a to Hanalei: 30 minutes • From Princeville to Hanalei: 15 minutes • From Ha'ena to Hanalei: 20 minutes Main location: From the Princeville Hotel, go back out to the main road and turn right. From the Lihue side, after you pass Princeville you will go down a hill, across a metal bridge, and drive along the Hanalei River until you enter the town of Hanalei. The first building you will see when entering Hanalei is the Hanalei Dolphin. The first street in Hanalei is AKU street. We are just before the first street. Please notice a 25 mile an hour speed sign. Then look for a surfboard sign on a small dark green building with white trim, which is the Hawaiian Surfing Adventures' check in location. Here you will complete your waiver, receive your rash guard, and be sized for your paddle if you signed up for stand up paddle lesson. Then you will hop back in your car and head to the beach where your instructor will be waiting for you.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your expert instructor is a big-wave surfer who is dedicated and passionate about surfing, and who can easily teach you the skills required for learning to ride a wave. During this 2-hour private surfing lesson, you’ll learn the proper place to sit on the board and the best techniques for paddling, as well as how to choose the best waves and what to do if you fall.
For beginning surfers, the soft-top boards that are used for lessons are safe, wide, and stable, and are the best boards for learning to surf in the warm waters off Kauai. Winter often has the largest waves, but the protected conditions of Hanalei Bay make the area perfect for learning. If there’s ever a day where the water’s too flat or the ocean is simply too rough, you’ll head to another spot on the island where conditions are a little bit better.
This private Kauai surf lesson has one instructor per participant, and a semi-private lesson features one instructor for a group of two or three. Read the Itinerary for more lesson details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Recommended for 6 + if comfortable in the water. Great family fun gearing to the young ones but everyone learns to surf.
- Students under 13 years of age private lesson choice is 130.89. Please call supplier directly There is no minimum age do to with your own family but lesson gear to the youngest member.
- Please note ages.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Hawaiian Surfing Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms