- 5-hour Mendenhall Lake kayak tour and salmon bake, from Juneau
- Kayak close to Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls
- Feast on wild salmon, and a variety of other hot and cold dishes served at the salmon bake
- Includes all equipment, instruction, and safety gear, no experience needed
Departure & Return
JUNEAU MEETING PLACE: On the sidewalk, under the cables of the Mt. Roberts Tram. When you arrive at the meeting area, look for the Alaska Travel Adventures tour representative. They will be wearing a red jacket/shirt and a red hat. Look for our distinctive Caribou logo.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your guide provides life jackets, rain gear, and kayaking instruction, then helps you to get situated in your two-person kayak. Set out on the waters of Mendenhall Lake, traveling at a comfortable pace that is accessible for both beginning and experienced kayakers.
Navigate past the icebergs and learn from your guide about the native wildlife, history, and ecology of the Mendenhall Glacier. Venture within a safe distance of the massive face of the glacier and around to the powerful Nugget Falls.
Upon return from your kayak tour, head to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake for a delicious all-you-can-eat feast. Taste wild salmon from Alaska, along with chicken, potatoes, baked beans, wild-rice pilaf, a variety of salads, cornbread, assorted hot drinks, and dessert. You can purchase beer, wine, or soda if desired.
After your meal, you can walk through the woods to a campfire to roast marshmallows, stroll along Salmon Creek to a waterfall, and try panning for gold at the historical Wagner Mine.
You can return to the dock at your leisure on one of the buses that makes regular departures.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children 13 to 17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate without a parent or guardian.
- Client must be able to use upper body strength to paddle kayak approx. 2 hrs
- Guests taller than 6' 3" will not be able to steer with foot pedals and will have to steer with the oar instead. You may still participate, it is just an item to take into consideration when choosing the tour.
- Minimum weight: 40lbs
- Maximum weight dependent on waist size to fit into kayak cockpit 16.5" X 10". Approximately 275lbs
- Gloves and an extra pair of socks are recommended.
- Tour is weather dependent.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Alaska Travel Adventures Inc.
Learn more about cancellations.