Don’t worry—here are some similar options
Explore our promoted experiences
- Full-day tour in Juneau with whale watching and a salmon bake
- Explore Auke Bay where more than 65 humpback whales migrate each year
- Enjoy large windows, binoculars, and an exterior observation deck for prime views
- Savor the smells of Alaskan salmon grilling over an open fire
- Roast marshmallows over the open fire after your meal
- All-you-can-eat buffet included
Departure & Return
JUNEAU MEETING PLACE: On the sidewalk, under the cables of the Mt. Roberts Tram. When you arrive at the meeting area, look for the Alaska Travel Adventures tour representative. They will be wearing a red jacket/shirt and a red hat. Look for our distinctive Caribou logo.
What To Expect
At Auke Bay, board a state-of-the-art 48-passenger vessel custom-built for whale watching in Juneau waters, complete with a hydrophone system for listening to whales communicate underwater.
More than 65 humpback whales migrate annually to Auke Bay, also home to harbor seals, porpoises and bald eagles. These waters are so rich, whale sightings are guaranteed! In fact, if a whale is not spotted you'll receive a $100 refund ($50 for children).
Stand on the exterior observation deck or stay inside the cabin with extra-large windows. Pick up provided binoculars, and listen to your naturalist guide’s commentary about the humpbacks, local ecosystem and other wildlife sightings. On a clear day, you may even see Mendenhall Glacier.
After whale watching, a motor coach takes you to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake, a historic gold rush setting complete with authentic mining artifacts. The aroma of wild Alaska salmon grilling over an open alder wood fire will get your appetite going. This all-you-can-eat buffet includes parmesan chicken, au gratin potatoes, baked beans with reindeer sausage, wild-rice pilaf, and other sides, salads and beverages and blueberry cake for dessert.
A shuttle service departs for the pier every 15 to 20 minutes, so you can return to the pier at your leisure. Meanwhile, there are a number of activities you can try: Roast marshmallows over a crackling campfire, check out the Salmon Creek Trading Post, stroll to the Salmon Creek waterfall and see inside the entrance to the historic Wagner Mine.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Children ages 13- 17 must have a signed parental consent form if traveling without a parent or guardian.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please indicate ship/hotel name when booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 90 travelers
- OPERATED BY Alaska Travel Adventures Inc.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "Just a note, be sure to dress for weather, if need be and the water can get pretty choppy, so be prepared if you get motion sickness." See review