Explore our promoted experiences
- Get the inside scoop on J.K. Rowling's life while writing the 'Harry Potter' books
- Learn about Scottish writers at Makars’ Court
- See the inspiration for many locations in the Wizarding World
- Visit top Edinburg locations including Old College and Greyfriars Kirkyard
Departure & Return
Outside General register house, besides the Apple store & the statue of the Duke of Wellington on his rearing horse. Opposite the Balmoral hotel with it’s big clock tower.
If you enter NCP CAR PARK before 09.00 am their early bird rate is £7 for the day, or I have a code so you can enter anytime & pay £10 for 24 hrs. You could have breakfast in JK’s ‘Levels’ across the road. If this is your plan please message me after booking, I can collect you @ 09.47 am
Ends @ City Chambers opposite St Giles Cathedral & the Octagonal Mercat cross, besides Mary Kings Close. 5 mins walk uphill to the Castle, 4 mins down steps to Waverley station, ask & I'll direct you to them. Meeting folk? I recommend the Mercat Cross or the benches around City Chambers Courtyard
It’s a ½ day tour at the end you'll be hungry. I recommend recharging in Rowling’s beloved Nicolson's cafe/restaurant. I'll happily escort you there, I live nearby.
For those seeking a talisman, I can return you to the heart of wizarding commerce in Edinburgh, essentially our ‘Diagon’.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Many children have enjoyed the tour, however it's based on Rowling’s rags to riches story & so is dark. The more difficulties a person has overcome, the more you can learn from them. This tour has darker stories from Rowling's instructive biography, which I hope will inspire those ready to achieve more
- The tour is also based on the books, the books have some adult themes which I give credit too, because 'they're just children's books' annoys me. People who have just seen the movies may not be aware of these darker themes
- Near public transportation
- 5 km+ of up and down walking through Edinburgh's hilly old town
- NCP car park discount requires downloading & registering their 'ParkPass' app from a UK app store before entry
- 4 HOURS is a long time so BREAKFAST. Think everybody’s favourite Gameskeeper: if your feet haven’t swollen to baby Dolphins - keep shovelling!
- Not recommended for people requiring mobility aids, e.g. a stick, 6km of hilly walking is demanding. Contact me for a private 2⅓ hour broom or book my 5¼ hour "The Genius of Harry Potter" if you're a pedagog
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY The Potter Tour
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms