St. Lucia Riverwalk (Paseo Santa Lucia)
Completed in 2007, the St. Lucia Riverwalk is one of the most popular attractions in Monterrey. The walk stretches 1.5 miles (2.4 kilometers) along a man-made canal that winds through town, from the Macroplaza to Fundidora Park. The path is dotted with arched pedestrian bridges and fountains, including the dynamic Fuente de las Olas (Waves Fountain), and inexpensive riverboat tours are available.
Things to Know Before You Go
Free Wi-Fi is available along the entire length of the St. Lucia Riverwalk.
Fundidora Park, located at the end of the river walk, includes playgrounds, an ice rink, and Sesame Street Park, making it ideal for families.
The walk is fully wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The St. Lucia Riverwalk is located in downtown Monterrey, within walking distance of many city hotels. Metered taxis are the easiest way to get around the city, but the walk is also accessible via the Metrorrey subway system; the Zaragoza stop on line 2 services the Macroplaza area.
When to Get There
The best times to visit Monterrey are during spring (March to May) and fall (October and November). In addition to weekends, the St. Lucia Riverwalk can be especially busy in the evenings, when the water is illuminated and the weather is cooler. Riverboat rides take place throughout the day.
Exploring the Macroplaza
One of the world’s largest pedestrian plazas, the Macroplaza is a stretch of green space where most of the city's historical monuments, museums, and hotels are located. One of the plaza’s highlights is the 230-foot-tall (70-meter-tall) lighthouse that shines a green light into the night sky. Around the plaza, you’ll find the Monterrey Cathedral, the Mexican History Museum, and the Monterrey Contemporary Art Museum.
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in San Jose del Cabo
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Calle Morelos
- Glass Museum (Museo del Vidrio)
- Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
- Barrio Antiguo (Old Town)
- Fundidora Park
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Mirador del Obispado (Bishop’s Lookout)
- Plaza Fiesta San Agustin
- Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewery (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- State Museum of Popular Cultures (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
- Monterrey City Hall (Palacio Municipal)
- Chipinque Ecological Park (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Villa de Santiago