Old Alabama Town
With your admission ticket, you can tour the grounds of Old Alabama Town at your own pace—guests receive a property map at the entrance. Stretching over six blocks, the town is divided into two sections: the Working Block and the Living Block. In the first you can visit the blacksmith shop, spinner/weaver, cotton gin, print shop, and grist mill to see how Alabamians worked in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Living Block features a one-room schoolhouse, grocery store, church, shotgun house, and doctor’s office.
Things to Know Before You Go
Old Alabama Town is a must-visit for history enthusiasts.
Admission is free for children under 4; seniors and members of AAA and the military receive discounted admission.
Wear comfortable walking shoes and season-appropriate clothing, as Old Alabama Town covers a large area.
There is a gift shop selling souvenirs, candy, and books on local history.
How to Get There
Old Alabama Town is located in downtown Montgomery, within easy reach of major hotels and such attractions as the Civil Rights Memorial Center. Bus 4 stops at Columbus and Decatur, a 2-minute walk away. If driving, you will find free parking on-site.
When to Get There
Old Alabama Town is open weekdays from morning until late afternoon; last admission is one hour before closing. The attraction is also open on the second Saturday of each month, when admission is free and special events take place.
Dining at Old Alabama Town
There is no on-site dining at Old Alabama Town, but visitors can enjoy a picnic in Kiwanis Park, adjacent to the entrance—note, however, that there are no picnic tables. Several eateries are within a short walking distance; the Alley entertainment district, a 10-minute walk away, offers a wide selection.
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Tennessee
- Things to do in Georgia
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in South Carolina
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Missouri
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Illinois
- Alabama Music Hall of Fame Tours & Tickets
- Old Alabama Town Tours & Tickets
- GulfQuest: National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico Tours & Tickets
- US Space and Rocket Center Tours & Tickets
- USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park Tours & Tickets
- Brandon Styles Showroom Tours & Tickets
- Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge Tours & Tickets